Thursday 25 April 2019

Dear Darling....



Dear Darling,

Hopefully, this is the last letter I write to you before we meet again. I fall asleep at night thinking of what it will mean, to you, and to me.

When the guys ask me where I’m from, I never say Scotland; I say Harris, South Harris if they really push it.

The things I have seen and done over here have made my eyes grow old and tired, but I know when the bus drops me off at the end of that road, I will breathe in that good clean Harris air, and my body will return to the old days.

I miss you, and my family. How many times I go over that walk in my head. Down that beautiful little road and then make a left at the fork, and up to the church of St Clements. They are all buried there, my grandparents, my youngest brother who never got to start his life, and my mother.

My family.
 
So that is where we should meet. I want you to stand by the door of the church, just like we might do someday when we marry (that is if you say ‘yes’).

Hopefully, the sun will be setting, and you will be standing on the hill waiting. I promise not to cry.

We just have one more push tomorrow, and I am hoping that we will send them back to where they came from. The General says that we shouldn’t be afraid as we have everything on our side. I hope he is right.

With all my love and heart, I live to see you at the church. 
X



bobby stevenson 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Place To Be

Another new morning in Deal. I haven’t checked the telephone, and I sure as hell haven’t switched on the TV with all that news.   So I lie t...