Saturday 16 June 2012

Last Posts (1) by Bobby Stevenson


December, 15th.

My dearest darling Helen,

I just wanted to remind you of how much I truly love you.  As I write this my love, I am sitting in an old hut waiting on the fog and weather to lift. Did I tell you my pilot was born in Scotland but went to the States when he was a kid? I’ll introduce you to him, next time we are home.

I have told the band that I will be in Paris tonight and that they will follow on in the morning. They all deserve some time off, no matter how brief.

As each night passes I miss all of you more and more, please hug Steven and Jonnie for me and tell them that Daddy loves them.

I have just had a meal at the club with David and as usual his stories of Hollywood and the life of a movie star can keep me entertained for hours. I have promised Mister D. Niven that we will all have a vacation together the minute I am back. I promise.

Have I told you how much I love you?

I was going to post this in England but as there is no one else here I will keep it and post it in Paris in the morning. That I promise, too.
See you soon, my love,
G .xxx


Major Glenn Millar
AAC Orchestra.
Glenn Miller disappeared over the English Channel, December 15th 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Place To Be

Another new morning in Deal. I haven’t checked the telephone, and I sure as hell haven’t switched on the TV with all that news.   So I lie t...